If you're a fast walker, you're likely to live longer. The correlation between walking speed and lifespan has been widely studied and is a good indicator of our general physical condition and the number of years that we are able to enjoy optimum health. "It is a wonderful predictor," says, Dr. Cliff Bleustein, Global President and CEO of AposHealth, a home based exercise program aimed at helping patients with their mobility. In this episode we delve into the importance of a healthy gait, sometimes described as the sixth vital sign. Dr. Bleustein explains the link between the natural ability to take a brisk walk and maximally performing bodily systems, such as the heart, lungs and musculoskeletal.
Topics covered in this interview include:
- Dr. Cliff Bleustein's "eclectic" career, encompassing surgery, research, business and healthcare consulting.
- Making the shift from treating patients to the business of healthcare
- Treating osteoarthritis of the knee by changing the way people walk
- Earlier health management of chronic conditions to improve health outcomes
- Rehabilitation based on physical therapy rather than surgery
- Purposely including short bursts of exercise during the day for optimum health and maintenance of muscle mass
- The cumulative impact of exercise
- Gait - the sixth vital sign and predictor of long life.
- Walking speed as an indicator of health
- The daily activities that cost nothing and promote physical health
- The impact of Covid-19 on general healthcare, and the switch to telemedicine
- Future problems caused by plummeting activity levels during the pandemic
- The physical and emotional health impact of taking fewer steps a day through working at home
- Why healthcare facilities should be considered safe for preventative interventions, even as Covid continues to be a threat
- Taking small steps every day to pursue health and longevity.
- there are only so many things we can control. Don't worry!
This episode is brought to you in association with JUVICELL, the all-in-one longevity supplement that contains 10 key ingredients shown to have a positive impact on healthspan, as validated by scientific studies. To find out more, visit juvicell.com
The Live Long and Master Aging podcast shares ideas but does not offer medical advice. If you have health concerns of any kind, or you are considering adopting a new diet or exercise regime, you should consult your doctor.