Living life to the full, at any age, has been a challenge recently. To put it mildly. But if Covid has taught us anything, it is that some of life's simplest pleasures are what make life itself worth living. Therein lies a metaphor for healthy aging. Physical fitness, social contact and an active mind go a long way towards helping us live longer and better. They are also central to the ideals of Aging is Cool, a Texas-based company that helps people over fifty stay active and engaged as they age.
In this LLAMA episode, Aging is Cool co-founder, Amy Temperley, explains why she rails against a modern-day culture rife with ageism and how she hopes to redefine what it means to grow old.
"Old is a feeling and I don't know that you're old until you decide that you're old," she says.
In conversation with Peter Bowes, Amy also reveals how life with Covid has opened her eyes to the everyday activities that bring pleasure and purpose to life.
Recorded: March 22, 2021 | Read a transcript and show notes at the LLAMA podcast website.
Topics covered in this interview include:
- Targeting healthy, active aging and coming up with the idea for Aging is Cool
- Realizing that aging can be positive, celebrating a robust zest for life and it is okay to get older.
- Is there a benchmark for becoming old
- Anti-aging versus finding a sense of purpose in life.
- Building a company focussed on mind and body training for older adults
- A Mighty Good Time - a one-stop-shop and mostly virtual resource for adults aged 50+
- Over fifty - is there a mindset change?
- Reducing social isolation through involvement in a community
- The value of friendship and forging new relationships
- Social interaction post Covid and find new joy-inducing pastimes. How making stuff can be fun.
- Advocacy for the benefits of a healthy, aging population.
- Breaking out of Covid, socializing more and multi-generational friendships.
- Morning rituals that include caring for dogs.
- Finding those things that make life worth living - "embracing the things you love rather than lamenting what you've lost."
This episode is brought to you in association with JUVICELL, the all-in-one longevity supplement that contains 10 key ingredients shown to have a positive impact on healthspan, as validated by scientific studies. To find out more, visit juvicell.com
The Live Long and Master Aging podcast shares ideas but does not offer medical advice. If you have health concerns of any kind, or you are considering adopting a new diet or exercise regime, you should consult your doctor.
Post a Comment