Some of the world's healthiest people spend little or no time pondering their propensity to live a long life. They just do it. Their lifestyles are a model for longevity. There is much we can learn from these vibrant populations, in counties such as Italy, India, Japan, and (even) parts of the United States. In this episode of the LLAMA podcast with Peter Bowes, filmmaker Daniel Kennedy discusses his quest to better understand global food and ancient healing traditions. Daniel's documentary series, Healthy Long Life, is an exploratory journey around the globe and considers the discrepancy between lifespan and healthspan; he asks why, for many people, the final years of life are spent in sickness and pain and shares observations about spirituality, mealtime traditions and chronic diseases.
Recorded: April 19, 2021 | Read a transcript and show notes at the LLAMA podcast website.
Topics covered in this interview include:
- Filming Healthy, Long Life over four years and Daniel's motivation behind the project
- Lifespan vs healthspan and what it means for our children and grandchildren
- Are chronic diseases pre-determined? Searching for answers.
- Deriving inspiration from people with cancer to help others avoid the disease
- Meeting physicians who use plants as medicine, including T. Colin Campbell, the author of the China Project
- Pinpointing the world's longevity hotspots and learning from ancient healing traditions
- Fighting illness or promoting health?
- Plant based diets and the risk of contracting cancer
- Science, spirituality, food and faith
- The long lives of Seventh Day Adventists from Loma Linda, California
- The idea that "genetics may load the gun but it's diet and lifestyle that pull the trigger."
- The relative benefits of a healthy dietary regime and a life full of physical activity.
- Is there a French paradox - wine, cheese, butter and good health?
- Portion size and caloric restriction.
This episode is brought to you in association with Clinique La Prairie, the award-winning spa-clinic and pioneering health and wellness destination - nestled on the shores of Lake Geneva in Montreux, Switzerland. Combining preventative medicine with bespoke lifestyle and nutrition plans, Clinique La Prairie offers a holistic approach to living fuller, healthier and longer lives.
The Live Long and Master Aging podcast, a HealthSpan Media LLC production, shares ideas but does not offer medical advice. If you have health concerns of any kind, or you are considering adopting a new diet or exercise regime, you should consult your doctor.
Post a Comment